Saturday, December 27, 2008

Don't Complain

We always complain but we dream for glory
I am here gonna tell you a story
Of people, their lifestyle, their urge to live
Hold your breath as you may not believe

I was in college was searching for internship
Was recommended “Saheli”, was out of friendship
An organization formed by women in all
Commercial Sex Workers was what they were called

Initially I was nervous but I had to move forward
Legal aid and awareness was what I had to work
I met them all their children and lovers
I am gonna tell you what I discovered

There were women young and old
The only true fact was they had been sold
To sell their body against their will
Only to pay debts and the Keepers bill

If earned ten they ought to deposit five
To the keeper, only way to survive
The remaining money they eat and buy
A pouch of milk to stop their baby cry.

They are tortured by police and beaten by men
They only have tears and hope for heaven
Don't misconstrue they enjoy the pleasure
They gulp their tears with the pain they bear

They are many some beautiful some ugly
Some of them don't get to eat properly
They live clustered in 4/4 rooms
If they get sleep, they think it to be a boon

Some are not good looking its not by choice
They run for a rupee and can't rejoice
Even a cup of tea by the roadside
Forget the meals, for thirst they are devoid

Once it happened in front of my eyes
A girl was sold for 500 couldn't believe my eyes
Her uncle was broke, he wanted some booze
He sold the girl saying she was of no use

The Organization also maintains a small crèche
Where you can see innocent little faces
Waiting for Mama who is out to sell
Her body to get food for baby unwell

They still have an urge to live
They have a strong hope and they believe
They pray and dream that the things would change
Never about life they ever Complain.(Sagarmani)

No comments:

Post a Comment